Sunday, February 7, 2016

Growing Up Catholic #8: Fourth Grade

Sister Mary Alma, a tall, soft-spoken woman, was kind and loving. She had a gentle smile, and she would call me "honey." In my fourth grade catechism class I simply admired her. There was a regality in her bearing, which mesmerized me. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

Also, there was something different about Sr. Mary Alma. She was a convert to the Catholic faith. This is a fact she shared with us and I was amazed that a person could change religions. I felt sorry for her that she had not been a Catholic from childhood.

She informed us of one short-coming of being Catholic. We didn't know the Bible. Sister related how, in her former religion, which I think was Lutheran, she was required to know the Bible books and the chapters and verses. To me that sounded incredibly difficult, so I was glad to be Catholic. I guess Sister was too!

No comments:

Post a Comment