Thursday, February 4, 2016

Growing Up Catholic #5: Sister's Embarrassing Mishap

There were fifty-five children in our fifth grade class, so we could, at times, create quite a commotion. Sister Mary Magdala was trying to quiet us down one afternoon, but we weren't responding to her pleas. So, in a last ditch effort to get our attention, she took a textbook and pounded it on her desk. Unfortunately, the desk top was glass, and it shattered!

There was instant silence as Sister's face turned from red to purple with embarrassment. You could have heard a pin drop. We stared at Sister in anticipation of what was next. Simultaneously I felt so sorry for her. I was imagining that she would get in just as much trouble as I would have, had I done something like break something expensive. I also felt guilty for not having cooperated in quieting down.

But, intermingled with those sentiments was the thought that it was a comical scene. Part of me wanted to laugh, but I didn't dare. There were certain boundaries that children didn't cross, and not one of the fifty-five of us did.

Sister composed herself and carried on. We, for our part, were very attentive for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment