Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Remembering Dad #3: The Queen, Dad, and Me

One summer day in 1953 Dad took me to a movie theatre in Downtown Chicago to see the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on the silver screen. I was very excited to see this royal event. I especially loved seeing the little Prince Charles, and the little Princess Anne. It was like a fairytale.

At one point Dad told me he had to leave, but he would be back for me. So I should just stay seated and wait for him. I was so enchanted with the movie of the Coronation that Dad's absence didn't bother me. But, then the movie ended. Dad hadn't returned. I felt anxious. All the grown-ups were leaving. I feared being all alone in the dark theatre.

So I got up and followed the crowd out. In the lobby I looked around for Dad. He wasn't there. I didn't know what to do. I began to cry big time.

Two girls behind the candy concession noticed me and called me over. They asked why I was crying. I told them my story. They said they were sure my dad would come soon. They gave me a chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bar to assuage me. In the meantime they asked my name. Upon learning my name was Ruth, they found a huge BABY RUTH candy bar. I'd never seen such a big piece of candy. I smiled.

After devouring the ice cream I prepared to do the same with the candy bar, when Dad appeared. It was a happy reunion and a big relief for me. Dad offered to pay for all the goodies, but the girls wouldn't hear of it.

I was safe and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment